Free-swim hours at the Cal State L.A. pool offer a chance to exercise, socialize and reduce stress. Call (323) 343-4650.
A gift of wellness
Some tips for staying healthy during the holidays
The holidays are times to gather, to celebrate, to give thanks and reflect. They should also be times to protect your health and the health of others. With final exams coming soon enough, and amid the stress and pleasures of the holidays, the Student Health Center encourages you to follow these tips to stay healthy.
One of the best ways to stop the spread of flu viruses is keeping your hands clean.
* Wash your hands often. Keeping hands clean is one of the best ways you can avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.
* Practice respiratory etiquette. Covering your coughs and sneezes helps prevent spreading germs around.
* Stay warm in cold temperatures. Bundle up.
* Manage stress. Balance work, home, fun, and spending. Holidays are great times to get support from family and friends to relax.
Fruits and vegetables bring a cornucopia of benefits to your diet.
* Travel safely and drink responsibly. Donít drink and drive or allow anyone to do so. Always buckle up!
* Get check-ups and vaccinations. Use free time during the holidays to make medical visits and get vaccinations.
* Prevent fire and injuries. Keep candles away from children, pets, trees and other flammable objects.
* Handle and prepare foods safely.
* Eat healthy and be active. Stay healthier by eating with balance and moderation and keeping an active lifestyle. Limit your portion sizes and avoid eating foods high in fat and sugar.
Influenza vaccines are now available at the Student Health Center, 2nd floor, while supplies last. (There is no charge for currently enrolled CSULA students. It is $10 for University faculty and staff members. Only cash or check is accepted.) Flu shots will be administered Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. For more information, call (323) 343-3301. (The CSULA campus will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, Nov. 24, and Friday, Nov. 25.)
Here are links for your reference: