The Housing Services Mail Room serves as an extension of United States Postal Services and abides by their policies.
Please read through the following information carefully. Failure to follow the list, the correct name or address on mail or packages will result on correspondence being returned to sender.
All residents are assigned a mailbox based on their room assignment.
Freshmen in the same bedroom will share the same mailbox, therefore:
- Please leave your roommates' mail in the mailbox unless they have authorized you to deliver their mail to them.
- If mail is placed in your mailbox by accident and it does not belong to you or your roommate(s), PLEASE RETURN IT TO THE MAIL ROOM IMMEDIATELY.
- IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE TO OPEN ANOTHER PERSON'S MAIL.
- If you change rooms, you will be assigned a new mailbox.
- If one of your roommates moves out, your combination will be changed.
- As a security measure, never give out your combination to another person.
- Trouble opening your mailbox? Make an appointment to get personalized assistance.
MAIL (US Postal Services)
USPS delivers mail to the Mail Room Monday-Saturday, except on campus and federal holidays. Mail is sorted into your mailbox every evening by 5:00 PM.
Packages that require signature are accepted at the Housing Mail Room. You will receive a notice in your mailbox if you have received a package/letter. To retrieve your package or letter, you must present a picture ID.
- All mail/packages MUST have the full name of the resident, as shown on Driver License or Cal State L.A. ID.
- No nicknames
- If the package is addressed to someone other than the resident, it must indicate, c/o or Attention (resident’s name). Failure to do so will result in the item being returned.
- Mail that does not bear the name of a current resident will be returned to the sender.
- Mail/packages that are not picked up within 2 weeks will be returned.
- If you are tracking your package, you will know that it was delivered when a signature appears on the carrier’s website. Delivered in LA, just means it made it to their local warehouse.
- You will receive a notification slip in your box if a package has arrived for you.
- Packages must be picked up within 2 weeks with proper identification.
For outgoing pre-stamped mail, a USPS mailbox is located outside the Phase II Housing Office. If you need to mail a package, please take it to a local Post Office.
It is NECESSARY that the following policies are followed to avoid your mail or package be returned to sender.
Please see below for the proper way of addressing mail.
SAFETY OF YOUR MAIL
- Mail will be released to the recipient ONLY.
- Please make sure to double check the name and mailing address when ordering items online!
- Do not give out your mailbox combination to another student.
Before you move out, complete a Mail Forwarding Request Form at the Housing Services Office.
Housing Services will forward your mail (letters only) to the address you provide on the form for a total of four (4) weeks. After the 4 weeks, mail will be returned to sender.
- Forwarding request must be submitted to Housing Services and NOT the Post Office.
- Please change your mailing address directly with companies, banks, and magazines to ensure that future mail is sent to your new address. Remember we will only forward for 4 weeks.
- You are responsible for updating your mailing address with everyone who sends you mail.
- If a forwarding address is not provided, first class mail and packages will be returned to the sender.
MAIL ROOM HOURS
Monday-Friday 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
MAIL ROOM EMAIL
The Housing Mail Room notifies residents by email of mailbox updates including completed work orders, closure days and new combinations. You will also be able to email the Mail Room if you have questions, however, please do not use this email to verify if you received a package. Do not forget to bookmark our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org