Why join Phi Alpha Theta?
In addition to recognition of superior work in the field of history, membership in Phi Alpha Theta has many other advantages, some of which include:
1. The right to participate in the functions of the local chapter, not only while enrolled at CSULA, but after graduation as well. These can include meetings, field trips and banquets.
2. The opportunity to be elected as a delegate to the regional and national conventions of Phi Alpha Theta.
3. Eligibility to participate in the numerous scholarship and paper competitions held by Phi Alpha Theta nationwide. The conferences allow members to meet distinguished faculty, students (and future colleages) from across the nation.
4. The opportunity to submit articles for publication in "The Historian," the official journal of Phi Alpha Theta International.
5. The opportunity to get to know fellow history students in a professional atmosphere, where networking spreads ideas as well as opportunities for the future.
6. The opportunity to receive the local Phi Alpha Theta Newsletter, and other information that becomes available through the History Department and Phi Alpha Theta participants.
7. The recognition of belonging to a prestigious international Honor Society.
Undergraduates: Must have at least twelve (12) units in history completed at CSULA with an average higher than 3.0, and an overall GPA of 3.0 in all work completed.
Graduate students: Must have at least sixteen (16) units completed towards their degree with a GPA of at least 3.5 in history.
New initiates pay the national fee (currently $40) and local chapter dues ($10). The one-time national initiation fee confers lifetime membership on the individual and includes a certificate of membership and a one-year subscription to The Historian. Members may elect, but are not required, to pay annual dues to the national organization and continue to receive the journal. The local chapter dues ($10) are collected annually from members who wish to remain active in the chapter's activities.
Note: Make one check out for $50 (National and Local) dues to "Phi Alpha Theta." Turn in the completed membership application to the History Department Office, KH C4066.