SUGGESTIONS & FEEDBACK:
TO THE SUMMER 2003 STEER PROGRAM
STEER Program Laboratory: Digital Signal Processing
- What aspect of this summer research program was most enjoyable for you?
Working with the other STEER teachers, learning and exchanging various
- What subjects or topics did you most appreciate learning about in the
There were several laboratories to work
in during the summer - Digital Signal Processing, MATIES, and the SPACE
Lab. I was chosen to work in the DSP Lab and was able to expand my
knowledge in Digital Signal Transmissions
- What are the main skills and experiences that you will take away from this
The main skills that I will take away from this program
will be the LabVIEW 7.0 icon based programming skills, technical writing
skills, and advanced techniques in Microsoft Office programs.
- If a colleague asked you about this STEER program, what would you tell
First and foremost I would tell them that if they ever have
the opportunity to participate in a program such as the STEER program, take
it. The program allowed the teachers in the program a small taste of the
world of engineering and technology. We rarely have the opportunity to
experience technological advancement on the ground level, which is done
everyday in engineering research.
- How this program influenced you positively
as a teacher?
Through this program I have developed a skill that I can pass
along to my students and provide them with an opportunity of see with their
own eyes how the math and science in which they are learning, is being applied
to real projects that they themselves can construct and build upon.
- How this program could be improved to meet teachers' needs?
the cost of some of the software that we used during the summer could be
smaller. We, in the DSP Lab, were fortunate that the student version of
the LabVIEW 7.0 does not cost nearly as much as the of the other laboratories'
software. I will be able to purchase a copy of the program for the class
- Briefly describe your involvement in research and educational
activities during the STEER program. The
following four weeks we worked in our assigned laboratories and on our
During the first week of the program, all
the STEER teachers had a week of training on Microsoft Office ( Word, Excel
and PowerPoint), technical writing and on building a website.
- Briefly describe you interaction with Cal State LA Co-PIs and your fellow
STEER participants. Did you find opportunities for interaction to be
The STEER teachers were able to interact on a daily basis
during our lunch hour. We would meet for lunch near one of the
laboratories or a diner and talk about our projects, experiences, issues and
concerns. Dr. Beyon was very hands-on. Jennie and I met with him
on daily basis, for he often gave us small assignments that we later learned
help us to complete tasks for our final project.
- Are you interested in planning a field trip for your classes to visit Cal
State LA and the various laboratories?
Yes. It will provide students with an
opportunity to meet college student from diverse backgrounds, who are closer
to their age group and the see the work that they have done themselves.
- Are you interested in arranging for the STEER Co-PIs to visit your
Yes. Our mentor, Dr. Beyon has already offered to visit our
classrooms in the future.
- Are you interested in participating in the STEER program in future summer
programs? I would love to have an opportunity to work and learn in the
other laboratories and again take that knowledge back to that classroom.
- Overall, how would you rate your experience in the STEER program?
Excellent. I had a wonderful time working here at Cal State LA, with the
Co-PI's, my fellow STEER Teachers (Jennie, Kimberly D, Kimberly S, Maria,
Evelyn, Don, Kingsford, and the Cerritos College Crew) and the graduate
and undergraduate students that took time out to help whenever possible.