Periodicals Service Desk
Students in this position are required to work without direct staff supervision during almost all work hours, including evenings and weekends.
Main responsibilities include monitoring of the work of Level B Periodicals Service Desk student assistants, and assisting with training, scheduling, assigning work to and evalutating Level B students. Students in this position provide oversight of the following Periodicals Service Desk operations during their hours of duty:
The Level C students serve at the Periodicals Desk for most of their reporting hours. They also troubleshoot among the monitor the above activities; intercede at the desk when Level B students encounter problem patrons; and assume the duties of Level B students when necessary due to absences or other scheduling difficulties. Level C students exercise judgement in determining when to ask for assistance of full-time library staff.
- interpreting the needs of library patrons
- interpreting journal citations and abbreviations as well as journal holdings and location data in the OPAC
- aiding patrons in locating periodicals in paper and microform collections
- aiding patrons in use of microform reader/printers and copiers
- manually checking out controlled titles
- making referrals to Reference, the Loan Desk and the APS Copy Center
- performing desk support activites (gathering, sorting, re-shelving of materials)
Return to Student
Assitant Job Opportunities List