Physics & Astronomy
Academic Web Links - Useful for Library Research
- ArXiv e-Print archive. Direct link to the fully automated electronic archive and distribution server formerly maintained by Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), and now by Cornell University. Covers research in physics: high energy, chemical, nuclear, quantum, plasma, atomic, etc. and related areas, plus mathematics, nonlinear sciences and computer science.
- European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN). The CERN Laboratory in Geneva is probably best known as the originator of the World Wide Web. But this site also has a significant collection of information and sites relating primarily to high energy and particle physics.
- The Nine Planets. This is a very well designed and continuously updated multimedia tour of the solar system. It contains text, pictures and an occasional movie. Each of the planets and major moons is described and illustrated with pictures from NASA spacecraft.
- Space Telescope Science Institute. This site contains Hubble Space Telescope (HST) image archives, complete descriptions of HST mission profiles, projects, budgets, astronomical software, and even information for astronomers proposing HST observations. Numerous other projects and links are also available on this excellent site.
- Physics Virtual Library. This virtual library directory has links to specialized sites and physics-related sites, covering astrophysics, nuclear physics, horology, and others.
- Infomine: Physical Sciences, Engineering, Computing and Math. This is a comprehensive Internet resource collection covering the physical sciences, computing, mathematics and engineering which is maintained by UC Riverside. The file contains links to many resources, including pointers to preprint bulletin boards, databases, e-journals and the like.
- Physics Link. Even though this is a "dot-com," there are a lot of useful links, including reference, education, fun and even e-store links.
- Yahoo Physics Directory. Actually, a pretty decent listing of thousands of sites, some serious, some not-so-serious.