- 1. First Time User Trouble: The first time you try to access
a restricted database, you should see a screen that looks like this:
If you do not see this screen, try a different database. If you
still fail to see the login screen:
- Click on this link
to access the login page directly.
- If this succeeds, then login, and try to access the databases
- If you see the Library's Home Page, then you probably have a
firewall blocking your access.
- If you do not see the Library's Home Page, then one of our servers
may be temporarily down. Please try again in a few minutes.
- 2. Trouble Accessing a Specific Database. If you've been
successful accessing other restricted library databases with our EZ
Proxy server, but are having problems accessing a specific database,
check the Status
of Databases page or phone the Library Reference Desk (323-343-3988)
and ask if they are experiencing any problems accessing that particular
database. If they report having no problems, then email
us with your specific problem. Copy the 7 questions below and paste
them into your email. Answer the questions on the email and we will
get back with you as soon as possible.
- Your Name:
- Email Address:
- Phone Number:
- Are you working from a home or work computer:
- If you are working from home, what kind of access do you have
(phone modem, cable modem, DSL, etc.)
- What database(s) are you trying to access:
- Other details (e.g., error messages, etc.):
Alternatively, you can try to reach us by phone (323-343-4993).
If you get voice mail, please leave a detailed message answering
the same 7 questions.
- 3. Cookies Trouble: Cookies must be enabled on your browser
for EZ Proxy to work. If you are not sure if your cookies are enabled,
- 4. Pop-up Trouble: If you have pop-up
windows disabled on your browser, EZ Proxy will still work; however,
Findit! and one or more of the databases accessed via EZ Proxy may not
work. Findit! and some Library databases use pop-up windows as an integral
part of their operating system. If you find yourself clicking a link
but nothing happens, then suspect that pop-up windows may be disabled
(e.g., installing a Google Toolbar will disable pop-ups).
5. Disable Identity Protection Software ( Anonymous/Encrypted
Web Surfing ): Identity Protection Software ( e.g., GhostSurf ) will
modify your way your computer communicates with our EZProxy Server.
Identity Protection Software must be disabled before accessing
the Library databases.
6. CSULA Network/E-mail account Failure:
If you are unable to login using your
CSULA Network/E-mail account, there might be a possible issue with your account. Make sure
you do not have caps lock on, and that you have entered your password
correctly. (Note: Passwords are case sensitive!) If you still cannot
login, contact the Information
Technology Support Helpdesk at 323-343-6170 for assistance with
your CSULA Network/E-mail account. The ITS Helpdesk is located in the Library Palmer
Wing (LIB PW) Lobby and its hours
are available online.
If you don't remember your CSULA Network/E-mail account user name and password, please go to myCSULA portal page (you can find a link to myCSULA on the top of the Library homepage or the Campus homepage and click on "Forgot Password" button to start your ID and Password recovery process.
- 7. Any Other Problem: If you feel that you need further
assistance with EZ Proxy, contact us by phone at 323-343-4993 or by
- Issues with Cookies and our
EZ Proxy Server
- Access to licensed electronic databases is available to current
students, faculty, and staff. To verify your access while you are
accessing these databases, the Library requires that your web browser
accept cookies. The procedure to enable the cookies option in your
Web browser depends on the browser you are using. The instructions
below describe how to find the correct Help screen for enabling cookies
on Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x and Netscape Navigator 4.x. (NOTE:
we do not recommend using Netscape Navigator 6.x.)
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Click the Help menu option at the top of the Internet
Explorer (IE) window.
- Select the Contents and Index option. The Microsoft
Internet Explorer Help window will open.
- Be sure the Index or Search tab is the active tab.
- In the search box just under "Type the keyword to
find:," type cookies and press the ENTER key. On the
right-hand side of the help window, information about cookies
will be displayed.
- Read the information about cookies, then at the bottom of the
text click on the link, Set a security level for each zone.
- Follow the instructions that are displayed.
- Exit Internet Explorer.
- Start Internet Explorer as you normally do. It is now set to
Netscape Navigator 4.x
- Click the Help menu option at the top of the Navigator
- Select the Help Contents option. The Nethelp - Netscape
window will open at the upper left of your screen.
- Click the Index radio button.
- In the search box just under" Look for:," type cookies
and press the ENTER key.
- Click on the keyword, "cookies" that appears directly
under the search box.
- Click on "Handling Cookies" and follow the instructions
that are displayed.
- Exit Navigator.
- Start Navigator as you normally do. It is now set to accept
If you need further assistance in resolving an issue with connecting
to the Library databases from a remote site please contact us.