Forwarding Your E-mail
In order for you to forward your campus email to your personal email account, you need to be able to login to the campus network.
- Login to mars server. (Using the DOS prompt or a telnet software)
Type: telnet mars.calstatela.edu
- The computer will then prompt you for login name and password. Enter your NIS username and password.
Password: xxxxxx (password will not show)
- If you are successful, you are now in the Unix environment and you will see a Unix prompt -(i.e. mars% )
- Create a '.forward' file in your home directory using the "vi" editor. You can also use other text editors if you are familiar with them.
At the percent sign (%) prompt,
type: vi .forward
- In "vi", type i for insert and then type the desired email address to forward to:
- Once this is done, execute the following steps to save the file:
Press <Esc> key and then type: :wq
You can verify that you have created the .forward file correctly by typing: cat .forward
(cat .forward should display the content of the file i.e. email@example.com)
If you encounter problems, please see the attendants in the E&T Computer Lab, E&T C-255, or send an e-mail message to Jeff Cheam.