Use of Praise
· Giving “love” for obedience
· External and addictive
· Your value, not student’s
· Non specific, non educational feedback
· Combined with the overuse of disappointment it becomes highly manipulative/addictive.
· Praise behavior, not student
· Authentic and spontaneous
· For accomplishment and/or effort
· Based on student’s own goals
· To show appreciation
· Public attention to under-appreciated student
· Combined with the use of authentic emotional investment, it can show caring by the teacher.