|TVFT 531B||Motion Picture Production/Post||Spring 2014||W 11:40 - 3:30 p.m.
|2nd Year MFA Production
|Hrs: W 4-6||Music 251||Phone: 343-4209|
1. To produce and direct "film style" projects in the field with a realistic understanding of resources, capabilities and goals.
2. To gain experience in the planning and execution of "film style" production.
3. To understand production and post production processes.
4. To function in a crew position contributing as a team member to the completion of projects.
5. To engage in critical self-evaluation as it applies to one's work on one's own project as well as one's work on other projects.
1. Each student/team will produce a "Film Project".COURSE Requirements:
2. Each student will participate in crew positions on other student projects.
3. Each student will lead the class in regular sessions relating to the progress being made on thier projects
4. Each student/team will manage their own screening and critique sessions in class.
5. Each student will paricpate in other student's critiques.
1. Project: Individual students are not required to
direct, but may have other significant responsibilities on the project
or projects. Responsibilities considered significant may include
but are not limited to Producer, Production Manager, Cinematographer,
Editor or Director; there is flexibility as it relates to size of teams
and crew assignments. Original content is due in class every week
and student performance includes a pedagogical element where students
explain how & what you have done and are doing on their
projects. Shooting on projects can continue through fourth week
of Spring Quarter but it is expected that post will commence shortly
after production begins.
You are expected
to keep your crew advised, in writing, of the nature of their
You are expected to brief your crew before
your production day(s) so that they may be fully prepared. Please
have a copy of your production materials/book for the professor on
Participating in Productions:
must participate in productions. Students are expected to
a positive and healthy attitude at all times. You are expected to
be committed to the successful completion of all projects, not just
4. Production Needs and Limitations: Please remember that successful projects work within the production limitations to achieve a coherent, aesthetic and entertaining solution. Students are required to have access to their own hard drives for post production. While equipment (camcorders, tripods and lights) may be checked out during the assigned production weeks the professor strongly advises you to have outside access to a camera.
5. Crewing: All students are expected to seek out crew positions on other student field productions. Students will receive credit for each position served on another student's field project.
6. DVDs: All students are expected to purchase DVDs and tape for their exercises and projects. All exercises and projects must be handed in, on the final day, at the end of the quarter, on clearly labeled DVDs. Both DVD and DVD case must have a clearly and cleanly printed label with the following information indicating:
1) Title(s), Dates of completion;
2) Project lengths,
3) Name of director/producer.
On this DVD the students will
provide finished copies of
projects with the standard bars/tone, slate (CG) and countdown
at the beginning of the package. At the conclusion of each DVD
the student will record a complete list of credits.
7. Team Work:
and personal differences must be worked
amicably outside of class, these issues and your ability to deal
with them is a measure of your maturity and professionalism.
student will present
their materials in the class at critique
sessions on days
by the professor. All students are expected to be
minded at these sessions, to participate fully and welcome criticism
their classmates and professor. Remember it is
important to learn from one's mistakes than to simply celebrate a
completion be it successful or otherwise. Students must
demonstrate a willingness
to accept criticism as part of
the ongoing creative production process.
Note: There is no eating in class, use of headphones, cell phones, beepers or disruptive behavior.
|Critique management, Class & Crew Participation||30 Points|
|Progress on Original Project and Report||70 points|