If you have fallen “out of status” you must apply for reinstatement with the U.S. Department of State.
The following documents must be submitted to the appropriate counselor at IPS for review and submission to the U.S. Department of State for processing:
- Check or money order $198 made payable to “U.S. Department of State”;
- Letter from student explaining the violation;
- Show inadvertence or circumstances beyond their control; and
- Unusual hardship if reinstatement is not granted.
Violations where reinstatement is not available:
- Knowingly or willfully failed to obtain or maintain the required health insurance at all times while in the U.S.;
- Engaged in unauthorized employment;
- Been suspended or terminated from the most recent exchange visitor program;
- Failed to maintain valid program status for more than 270 calendar days;
- Received a favorable recommendation from U.S. Department of State on an application for waiver of section 212(e); or
- Failed to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
The decision to approve or deny the reinstatement request is entirely at the discretion of the U.S. Department of State.
If you believe you are “out of status”, please schedule an appointment with the appropriate staff member to discuss your case in more details.