Skip to the content


Follow us

Home > International Students (F-1, J-1) > International Student Immigration > What happens if F-1 status is not maintained

What happens if F-1 status is not maintained

If you have fallen ďout of status,Ē you must apply to the USCIS for reinstatement. The IPS Immigration Counselor will assist you in this process if it is your first time out of status. The fee for this is $200.00 (subject to change), and the forms can be obtained at IPS. Students who have previously been reinstated and are out of status again will have a difficult time winning reinstatement. IPS can provide an attorney referral list for these students.

You may also be reinstated, if this is your first time out of status, by leaving the U.S. and returning on a new I-20, prepared by IPS. However, you should discuss your options with the IPS Immigration Counselor because leaving the U.S. for reinstatement may jeopardize your eligibility for any practical training.

USCIS will consider reinstating a student to F-1 status if:

A decision to reinstate an individual to F-1 student status is completely at the discretion of the USCIS.

Cal State L.A. and IPS have no control over this matter whatsoever. If you are denied reinstatement, you must stop attending classes and depart the U.S. within 30 days.

If you think you may be out of status, please consult with IPS as soon as possible!

5151 State University Drive . Los Angeles . CA 90032 . (323) 343-3000
© 2008 Trustees of the California State University

Last Update: 09/2/2014