Skip to the content


Follow us

Student Going Global

Inbound Exchange Students

Visa Information

International exchange students study at Cal State L.A. with the J-1 visa status.  It is important that all exchange students comply with all exchange requirements:

As a J-1 visa student, you are required to comply with regulations from the U.S. Department of State and Homeland Security during your stay.  The following are the rules and regulations that you must follow.  If you have any questions, consult with the Study Abroad Advisor.

Depending on the time of your exchange, you may face delays in visa processing due to the volume of requests.  Applications during the summer typically take longer due to the number of international students preparing to start in the fall term.  Schedule your visa interview as soon as possible to ensure timely processing.

Upon receipt of the Form DS-2019, you need to pay the SEVIS fee at:  This is separate from the visa application fee to the U.S. Consulate. 













5151 State University Drive . Los Angeles . CA 90032 . (323) 343-3000
© 2008 Trustees of the California State University

Last Update: 03/20/2014