Application ProcessIn order to be admitted to a graduate program at Cal State L.A., you must meet the University admission criteria and the specific academic department requirements. This requires you to submit two (2) application packages to the University. Please send them only after submitting the online application at www.CSUMentor.edu and receiving your Campus Identification Number.
- Review the admission criteria for a graduate applicant (University criteria listed below, and the specific academic program applying for).
- Submit the University online application at www.CSUMentor.edu . Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections. Each application is only good for the term you are applying. Please enter your personal information correctly. The name you enter on the application should match as it is listed in your passport.
- Within 7-10 days after submitting the application, you will receive an email with your Cal State L.A. Campus Identification Number. If you did not pay the $55 application fee online, you can send in a bank draft or money order (payable to 'CSU Los Angeles') to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Include your CIN on all documents submitted to Cal State L.A.
- Submit the required documents to the appropriate offices by its deadlines.
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue with a certified English translation. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the U.S. institutions send the transcripts directly to Cal State L.A.
- Results of English proficiency exam (see acceptable tests below). Scores must be sent directly to Cal State L.A. from testing agency.
Academic Department Application
- Graduate applicants must contact their major departments and submit the department application, with required supporting documentations, by its deadline. The departments can be found at www.calstatela.edu/academic/aa/dcc/dept.php
International Office for I-20 Processing
- Affidavit of Financial Support form
- Copy of passport biographical page
- Proof of finances (bank statement, bank letter, sponsor or scholarship letter)
- If you are currently in the U.S., please include
- Copy of visa stamp
- Copy of I-94 record
- Copy of I-20 if you are a F-1 student
Graduate applicants must meet all of the following requirements for admission consideration.
- Must possess a four-year bachelor’s degree (or its U.S. equivalent) from a recognized institution of higher education.
- Must be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended
- Must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (A=4.0) in the last 90 quarter units (60 semester units) attempted.
- Must possess adequate English proficiency.
Graduate applicants must contact their major department and submit the department application by its deadline. The departments can be found at www.calstatela.edu/academic/aa/dcc/dept.php.
Acceptable English Language Exams and Scores: (institution code 4399)
TOEFL: 80 ibt or higher
PTE: 53 or higher
IELTS: Band 6 or higher
TESOL program applicants: TOEFL (100 ibt); IELTS (7.5)
All graduate and postbaccalaureate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must complete and submit satisfactory English Proficiency Exam scores. A statement verifying English as the medium of instruction will be required from the institution.