* Writing Literature Reviews: A Guide for Students of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2006. Los Angeles: Pyrczak Publishing (3rd Edition). First edition published 1999.
* “Asian International Students’ Preferences for Learning in American Universities.” 1999. (with Yoshifumi Fukada). CATESOL Journal, 10(1).
* “EFL Teacher Development through Critical Reflection.” 1997. (with Lia D. Kamhi-Stein). TESOL Journal, 7(1).
* “A Proposed ESL Program for California State University, Los Angeles: A Discussion Paper.” 1996. (with Lia D. Kamhi-Stein). Los Angeles: California State University, Los Angeles. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED407842)
* “Integrated Content Language Approach.” 1991. In Making Schools Work for Underachieving Minority Students. Joan Herman and Josie Bain (Eds.). Westport, CN: Greenwood Press.
* Champions of Change: Biographies of Famous Hispanic Americans. 1989. (with Thomas J. Powers). Austin, TX: Steck-Vaughn Company.
* “Accentedness in the Classroom.” 1988. (with Kathleen M. Bailey). In Chicano Speech in the Bilingual Classroom. Dennis J. Bixler-Marquez and Jacob Ornstein-Galicia (Eds.). New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc. Reprinted from Bailey, K.M. & Galvan, J.L. (1977). Aztlan, 8: 53-62.
* “Planning a Trip through Spanish-speaking Countries: Sample Lesson Plans.” 1987. (with Barbara Hawkins and Thom Hudson). In Foreign Language Resource Guide. Technology in the Curriculum Project. Sacramento: California State Department of Education.
* “Sheltered English: Past, Present and Future.” 1986. (with Alfredo Schifini). California Association for Bilingual Education Newsletter, October.
* “Culture as an Issue for Second Language Teachers.” 1985. (with Mary McGroarty). In Beyond Basics: Issues and Research in TESOL. Marianne Celce-Murcia (Ed.). Rowley, MA: Newbury House.
* “The Pilot Class of the Culver City Spanish Immersion Project: A Follow-up Report after the Seventh Grade, or Whatever Happened to the Immersion Class of ‘78.” 1983. (with Marguerite Ann Snow and Russell N. Campbell). In Selected Papers from the Third Los Angeles Second Language Research Forum. Kathleen M. Bailey, Michael H. Long, and Sabrina Peck (Eds.). Rowley, MA: Newbury House.
* “Marble Terminology in a Bilingual South Texas Community: A Sociolinguistic Perspective on Language Change.” 1982. In Sociolinguistic Aspects of Spanish in the US Lucia Elias-Olivarez and Jon Amastae (Eds.). New York: Cambridge University Press.
* “An Examination of the Communication Strategies of Two Children in the Culver City Spanish Immersion Program.” 1979. (with Russell N. Campbell). In The Acquisition and Use of Spanish and English as First and Second Languages. Roger Andersen (Ed.). Washington, DC: TESOL.
* “A Comparison of the Accented Speech of Seven Spanish-speaking Bilingual Speakers.” 1979. (with Emily Lodmer, Robert Ochsner, Deborah Plummer, Mary Ann Telatnik, and Geraldine Walter). Journal of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest, 3: 73-81.
* “Accentedness in the Classroom.” 1977. (with Kathleen M. Bailey). Aztlan, 8: 53-62.
* “The Relevance of Selected Educational Variables of Teachers on Their Attitudes toward Mexican-American English.” 1976. (with James A. Pierce and Gary N. Underwood). Journal of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest, 2: 13-27.
* “Relationship between Teacher Attitudes and Differences in the English of Bilinguals.” 1975. (with James A. Pierce and Gary N. Underwood). In Proceedings of the Southwest Areal Languages and Linguistics Workshop IV. R. Mazon (Ed.). San Diego: California State University at San Diego.