CSULA - Caltech
Partnership for Research and Education in Materials
The CSULA-Caltech PREM Collaborative was established in April of 2004 to enhance and promote diversity in materials science research and education in the Southern California area by fostering and nurturing interdisciplinary interactions between faculty and students at CSULA and Caltech that advance the discovery and understanding of new materials.
- To enhance the materials science research and educational program at CSULA by expanding on our on-going collaborative efforts with Caltech and CSEM.
- To develop highly trained undergraduate and masters’ students for careers in materials research via a comprehensive program involving scientific research, workshops, and faculty mentoring.
- To involve talented high school students from local minority schools to conduct summer research at CSULA.
- To expose students to the collaborative nature of the scientific enterprise by bringing together a core group of faculty from two institutions whose scientific pursuits complement each other and which are interdisciplinary in nature.
- To address scientific problems which are necessary to solve critical societal needs of the twenty-first century.
- To serve as a model of collaboration for other minority-serving institutions and division of materials research (DMR)-supported centers.
PREM News and Events
Students and faculty at the annual NSF-PREM retreat in Ventura, July 2007.