The door to the Metochion in Jerusalem.
The capture of Constantinople by the Turks in 1453 ending the
Byzantine Empire forced the Eastern Orthodox Church to move
valuable manuscripts to more secure cloisters in Palestine.
Thus the library of the Greek Patriarchate facing the main entrance of
Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem held important mathematical
several centuries. Among its many treasures was the oldest
surviving copy of Archimedes' The
The "daughter-house" held the copy until toward the middle of the 18th
century when it
was returned to Constantinople and later discovered by the great Danish
scholar J. Heiberg in 1906.
Today the palimsest is at the Walters Gallery in Baltimore.