#1 Rated School Climate Assessment
The ASSC School Climate Assessment Instruments (SCAI) have been rated the most effective school climate surveys. Because of the innovative design, sound theoretical framework and comprehensive content, the SCAI is capable of providing the most clear and usable information about the climate and function level at your school.
Why the SCAI is the most effective
"As consultants coaching schools on real transformation, the SCAI instrument is by far the best tool.
Instruments that use Likert scales do not give enough information and are not practical to the change process. In contrast, the SCAI gives specific information that easily lends itself to developing specific strategies for positive change. Teachers easily understand the results of the survey and feel empowered to make changes once the see the results of the instrument." - DRIVE Consulting
Where is your School On The Effectiveness Roadmap?
The SCAI allows any school to locate itself on the school function and effectiveness "roadmap." The SCAI's effectiveness "roadmap" enables the school to see clearly where they are currently as well as what "moving up" would entail. Roadmap
Transformative Classroom Management Resources - Classroom Practices that Lead Schools up the Effectiveness Pathway
Read selected chapters and excerpts from the "best classroom management book", Transformative Classroom Management by John Shindler.
We teach who we are
If this is true, then who are we teaching all day?
Resources for a Transformative Mindset
Why the SCAI is the Most Effective
- The analytic structure provides the most reliable assessment of climate and function. You obtain the most accurate, meaningful and usable data possible as the cure is implied in the diagnosis with the SCAI.
- It is approved by the US DOE and has been used successfully in over 500 schools.
- 0.7 correlation with other key success indicators such as student achievement. This is a unique capacity of the SCAI.
- Cross-referenceable versions for students, teachers and staff and parents, for both the elementary and secondary levels. All versions are available online or on paper.
- Items are grounded in the factors of "psychology of success" so the SCAI provides a clear window into the level of social and emotional learning, pedagogical quality, school culture, and the operating mindset of the school.
- Integrated with the strategies detailed in TCM
SCAI Dimension 5 score by Student Achievement (CA API)
Student Achievement (O-Outcomes)
Scatterplot correlation between SCAI rating and student achievement scores
When ASSC SCAI School Climate ratings at any school are correlated with the student achievement scores at that school, we find a very strong relationship. As you can see in the scatter plot figure from one data set, when the climate is high, the achievement is high, and when the climate is low the achievement is also low. This degree of correlation (+0.7) is only obtained with the SCAI.
Where is your School On The Effectiveness Roadmap?
Growth Pathway on the Roadmap - SCAI School Climate Ratings, and Corresponding Predicted Achievement Displayed on the Teaching Style Matrix
The ASSC School Assessment System features the unique School Effectiveness Roadmap. The roadmap features include:
A four quadrant school paradigm matrix
- Vertical axis function, capacity, and coherence
- Horizontal axis values orientation
- School Climate by Student Achievement Correlation data points
- Practical and conceptual position finder explaining qualities that characterize roadmap locations
The roadmap integrates the features above into one model that is capable of locating the quality of the climate and effectiveness of any school or classroom. Each location on the roadmap implies and can predict a series of elements including a) the intention of the school or classroom, b) the common practices, and c) the results expected on a range of outcomes. Using the roadmap is invaluable for effectively charting a course to a better quality of climate and performance. The book The Transformative Leader's Roadmap to Promoting Progress Up the Growth Pathway
and several other resources from ASSC are available to help school leaders provide expert facilitation of their school change effort.
See online chapters of The Transformative Leader's Roadmap book
Transformative Classroom Management (TCM)
TCM: Classroom Practices that Lead Schools up the Pathway.
- Best classroom management book period. Teacher
- As a teacher trainer, I would recommend this book as a 'must have.' It could help teachers everywhere. Teacher Trainer
- Great Book! I highly recommend this book for those schools trying to turn around. Teacher
- TCM is the best available resource to support our RTI level 1 process. Administrator
- Inspiriting and Inspiring! New Teacher
TCM is simply the most effective set of practices for creating classroom excellence!
- TCM will:
- Take your school to the next level of function and effectiveness.
- Increase student achievement.
- Create a psychology of success in every classroom.
- Improve your school climate and move your school up the effectiveness pathway.
- Make your PBIS or RTI program work the way that you had originally hoped with practical ideas for getting better immediately.
- Provide a foundation so that RJ can actually work at your school.
- Make the high performing student-centered classroom a realistic, practical and attainable goal.
- Integrates well with your mindfulness and/or social emotional learning promoting efforts
Paragon Learning Style Inventory
The Paragon Learning Style Inventory (PLSI) is a self-administered survey that provides a very reliable indication of learning style and cognitive preference. It uses the four Jungian dimensions (i.e, introversion/ extroversion, intuition/sensation, thinking/feeling, and judging/perceiving) that are also used by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Murphy Meisgeir Type Indicator, and the Keirsey-Bates Temperament Sorter. But this is the only instrument that can be self-scored and works with ages 9-adult.
What is a Transformative Mindset?
A transformative mindset is simply an intention to do away with the self-limiting references (values, narratives, beliefs, conditioning, etc.) that we are using currently and then opening ourselves to discovering more of the potential within us, our colleagues and our students, and then finding and applying the actions and practices that are most likely to make that happen.
This site includes a growing series of mindfulness resources for teachers.
Resources to support a more mindful and conscious level of practice
School Climate, transformative education, transformation,
quality, resources, social justice, workshops,
education, student, teacher, school, climate, coaching,
mindfulness, mindful, change,
success, achievement, function,