LSAMP-BD: The Strong Alternative Route to the PhD
|There are a variety of circumstances
where a student interested in establishing a career at the highest
levels of science, mathematics, or engineering may need to earn
the MS before beginning a PhD program. California State University,
Los Angeles (Cal State LA) and the National Science Foundation
(NSF) offer exceptional opportunities for students in chemistry,
biochemistry, physics, geology, engineering, environmental science,
mathematics, computer science, biology and microbiology to first
earn the MS at Cal State LA, and then the PhD at top research
institutions throughout the country.
If you are interested and serious about in earning the PhD, Cal
State LA and the NSF invite you to join us in jump-starting your
career with a two-year, research-intensive MS through the University's
Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Bridges to the
Doctorate (LSAMP-BD). Cal State LA offers Master of Science
degree programs that are among the strongest on the West Coast.
You will be well prepared for success in top PhD programs by
the two-year Cal State LA MS degree.
the LSAMP-BD program offer?
- A well-structured program of academics, research, and workshops,
including preparation for enhanced GRE performance
- Participation in national and international professional
- Funds for research supplies
- A stipend of $30,000/year for two years
- Payment of tuition and fees, and supplemental health insurance
What are the minimum requirements
- You participated in an Alliance for Minority Participation
project on your undergraduate campus
- You plan to earn the PhD (NOT medical, dental, or pharmacy
- You will be enrolled as an MS student at California State
University, Los Angeles for the Fall of 20011. There is still
time to apply and be admitted.
- You have earned a BS in chemistry, biochemistry, physics,
geology, engineering, mathematics, biology, microbiology or a
- You are a US citizen or Permanent Resident
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher (2.7 in exceptional cases) in your
last 90 quarter (or 60 semester) units. We expect you will complete
the MS with a 3.5 GPA.
- The GRE. We use the GRE as an indicator of your interest
in pursuing the PhD. No particular score is required. The GRE
may be taken after the application is submitted, but before an
interview is granted
How do I apply?
Apply by March 1, 2011. You must apply to the LSAMP BD program
and the University separately.Contact the Minority Opportunities
in Research (MORE) Programs Office [email@example.com or
call us at (323) 343-2395] for guidance or additional information.
The online application is avaialable at
To learn more about our research faculty, please follow these links: MORE Programs Research Faculty and CEA-CREST Research Faculty.
Bridge to the Doctorate, Cohort VIII is contingent
upon supplemental funding to grant
HRD-1026102-518741 by the National