Skip to the content
Return to Cal State L.A.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Table of Contents

Applying to the University

Where, when and how can I get an application? What is the application deadline?

Students can apply online through the CSUMentor system. More information about applying to the university can be found on the following university websites:


Transfer Questions

I am a transfer student, how will I know which of my courses will transfer to CSULA?

Academic advisors can of course provide assistance in determining which transfer courses may satisfy university requirements. Students may also use the Assist website to determine whether their work is transferable.


Academic Standing

What is Academic Probation?

A student is placed on academic probation when either their CSULA grade point average or their cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. A student will remain on probation until their grade point average rises above 2.0 or they become disqualified.

What is Academic Disqualification?

A student on probation can be disqualified if their grade point average falls below the levels listed below:

Table: GPA resulting in disqualification, listed by class level.
Class Level GPA resulting in disqualification
Freshmen (0-44 units completed) < 1.50
Sophomore (45-89 units completed) < 1.70
Junior (90-134 units completed) < 1.85
Senior (135+ units completed) < 1.95

Students should review their grade records on GET regularly to insure their academic progress. Disqualified students need to be reinstated to the university in order to continue pursuing their degrees. If a student becomes disqualified, they must file a petition for immediate reinstatement through their major department advisor. Dates for immediate reinstatement are listed in the Schedule of Classes each quarter.

Students who are not immediately reinstated may need to apply for readmission if two quarters have passed since their disqualification. To be readmitted, students must meet with their major advisors to complete the Readmission petition and follow university application procedures.

What is Special Probation?

Disqualified students who have been reinstated or readmitted to the university are placed on Special Probation. Students on Special Probation need to earn a GPA better than 2.0 in order to bring their CSULA or cumulative GPA above the disqualification level. Departmental advisors will indicate the conditions of Special Probation on the Reinstatement/Readmission form.



What are the university requirements for graduation?

Along with completing the requirements for your particular major, it is important to complete the university requirements for graduation. These requirements include an Introduction to Higher Education course, the lower-division GE Blocks, English 102, two diversity courses, and an upper-division GE theme. More information on each of these requirements can be found in the university catalog.

I expect to graduate in two more quarters, what do I need to do?

Students must apply for graduation two quarters before they anticipate completing all their graduation requirements. Click here for more information about procedures and eligibility requirements to submit a graduation application.


Student Services

More information on various university services can be found through the following links:


Financial Aid

More information on financial aid can be found through the following links:


Things You Should Know

If I attend the first day of class and sign in my name, I'll automatically be registered for the class.

No, by signing your name to an ADD list, the instructor agreed to issue you a permit. You are responsible for adding the course on GET. The permit expires after three days. If you have any problems adding the course contact the department. Be sure to print out your class schedule after you add the class. Check your current schedule on GET often (once a week is recommended).

All classes I take at Cal State L.A. will be computed into my grade point average (GPA).

Only traditionally letter graded courses numbered 100 and higher are included in your grade point average (GPA) computation. Non-collegiate courses (those numbered below 100) and courses graded CR/NC are not included.

If my advisor doesn't tell me about a particular requirement, I don't need to worry about it.

Advisors are a valuable resource for assisting with academic requirements, however, YOU are responsible for knowing and completing all degree requirements and complying with all University rules and regulations. This means that you must regularly attend advisement sessions, refer to the University Catalog and the Schedule of Classes (online) for more information.

I only need to complete general education, university and major courses to earn my degree.

No, in addition to passing all course requirements for your major, you must complete the total number of units (180-204) required for the degree. Some majors are low unit majors and students will need to take free electives (additional courses not required forGE or the major) to reach that total. You must also meet grade point average requirements in GE, major, CSULA courses and overall college courses. Consult the Undergraduate Studies section in the University Catalog for information about requirements for bachelor's degrees or meet with an academic advisor for more information.


Tips to Succeed in College

Advisement: Take responsibility for your academic progress; don't let "I didn't know" be your excuse. Meet with your on a regular basis (at least twice a year) to review your academic progress. You can meet with an advisor during drop-in advising hours or by scheduling an appointment.

Adding: Add classes before the deadline. Make sure that you have completed prerequisite(s) for the course(s). It is also recommended that you meet with an advisor to make sure you are enrolling in the appropriate •courses for your degree objectives.

Documents: Keep all of your academic papers together (grade reports, petitions, letters from the University, and other important documents).
Dropping: Make sure you drop classes before the deadline. Don't assume that the instructor will drop you if you stop attending class. If you don't drop the course on GET or with the drop form, you will receive a WU on your record which is the equivalent to an F. If is also recommended that you meet with an advisor to discuss your options. You might qualify for an incomplete.

Email: Check your CSULA email regularly. This is the official means of communication used by the University. Step-by-step instructions to forward your CSULA email to your personal account can be found on the ITS website.
Resources: Career Center, Computer Labs, Library, NSS Academic Advisement Center, Tutoring Center, Writing Center, University Academic Advisement Center and other resources are available to you on campus.


5151 State University Drive . Los Angeles . CA 90032 . (323) 343-3000
2008 Trustees of the California State University

Last Update: