Applied Gerontology Institute (AGI)
The Applied Gerontology Institute can help prepare you for a Gerontology Career:
Certificate Program in Applied Gerontology:
- Graduate from CSULA with a Certificate in Gerontology.
- If you take G. E. Upper Division theme F “Human Maturity and Aging Processes and Problems” you will be halfway to completing the Gerontology Certificate.
- Classes in the Certificate curriculum will teach you about past, current, and future trends in the study of aging while preparing you to apply your knowledge in your future career choices.
- The Certificate in Applied Gerontology will be an asset for pursuing a career in the below listed settings.
Did YOU know?
- Gerontology is the study of the aging process and the related physical, social, and psychological changes one encounters.
- The field of Gerontology is growing rapidly.
- Gerontology is a multidisciplinary field, creating a variety of career choices available to graduates from various fields of study.
Reasons for Rapid Growth:
- The “BABY BOOM”– great numbers of births occurred between years 1946-1964.
- Baby Boomers are starting to turn 60 years old in 2006.
- The “Graying of America” is creating a population distribution with a rapid increase in the number people over the age of 65.
- Advances in technology, healthcare and medicine are contributing to an increase in life expectancy; Women 78.9 years, Men 74.2 years.
Where do Professionals in the field of Aging Work?
- Community, Human Service, and Religious Organizations
- Health Care and Long-Term Care Facilities
- Retirement Communities
- Professional Organizations
- Research Settings
- Federal, State, and Local Government Agencies
Join the Applied Gerontology Student Association (AGSA)
- Join other students interested in the study of aging.
- Find out about careers working with the growing population of older adults.
- Guest Speaker Presentations on facilities providing services to older adults.
- Networking opportunities with students from various majors and community members from diverse organizations promoting careers in aging.