Cal State L.A.


Download icon for mobile catalog

Division of Academic Affairs

Office of Undergraduate Studies

Office: Administration 725 | Phone: 323.343.3830 | FAX: 323.343.5914

As a unit within the Division of Academic Affairs, the Office of Undergraduate Studies supports the development, improvement, and maintenance of strong undergraduate programs and related policies. It provides leadership, feedback or input, as appropriate, for changing, enhancing or improving existing programs and policies. The Office of Undergraduate Studies also provides leadership in the development of academic support programs that require an institution-wide response.

Undergraduate Studies is also responsible for ensuring that the laws, regulations and campus policies that apply to undergraduate education are implemented fairly and consistent with their intent. To this end, the Office of Undergraduate Studies reviews and acts on student petitions for exceptions to University policy.

The Office of Undergraduate Studies oversees and/or has responsibility for a number of programs including Academic Advisement, Articulation, General Education, Credit for Prior Experiential Learning (CPEL), Cooperative Education, Special Majors, the Writing Proficiency Examination. The following offices report to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies: The University Academic Advisement Center, the University Testing Center, the University Writing Center, the University Tutorial Center, and the Center for Engaged Learning.

Quarter to Semester Course Conversion Guide

See what your quarter course will convert to in the semester system beginning Fall 2016 by clicking on this link.

To find out more about Semester Conversion please visit the Semester Conversion website.

Individualized Advisement Plan (IAP)

Follow these instructions to create your Individualized Advisement Plan (IAP) which can serve as a roadmap to help you keep up with the requirements for your major or minor program.

New General Education Courses for Fall 2016

Lower Division Courses

Upper Division Courses



The Office of Undergraduate Studies serves as the clearinghouse, at the University level, for all curriculum, undergraduate and graduate. Curriculum approved at the school level is forwarded to the Office of Undergraduate Studies for referral to the appropriate subcommittee(s) or to be added to the curriculum file.

To view the Curriculum Handbook, click here.


Articulation is the process by which the faculty from two or more institutions reviews similar courses from their respective institutions to determine if the content of courses is sufficiently comparable to warrant formally accepting one for the other. Among other things, completing an articulated course at one institution assures the receiving institution that the necessary background and preparation has been provided to enable the student to progress to the next level of instruction at the receiving institution. This process is facilitated by the Articulation Officer who maintains all articulation agreements and reports to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. All articulation agreements are posted on

To view a list of courses at local community colleges that fullfill the remediation requirement, click here.

Special Majors

The Office of Undergraduate Studies oversees undergraduate Special Majors. The Special Major provides an opportunity for selected students to pursue individualized programs of study if their academic and professional goals cannot be met through existing degree programs or combinations of programs (e.g., majors, minors). The Special Major is not a means of by passing normal graduation requirements. To be eligible, students must meet specific Special Major requirements. (This form is in Adobe Acrobat format. See link below to get the Adobe Acrobat reader.)


Instructions and Information for Students

Students may petition for review of certain University academic regulations when unusual circumstances exists; however, some academic regulations, such as those contained in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, are not subject to petition. Please consult with an advisor in your major department/division or an advisor in the University Academic Advisement Center  to determine whether you have a petitionable request.

Extension of Incompletes must be submitted before the one year expires. An extension will be granted for only one additional year with instructor’s signature.

All petitions must be filed in your major department/division office. Undergraduate students with undeclared majors should file petitions in the Academic Advisement Center, LIB S1040A. Departments/divisions will forward the petition and documentation to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Adm. 725, 8254-1.

Do not submit petitions without all required information and signatures; petitions that are incomplete will be returned without action.

Click here for the "General Academic Petition for Undergraduate Requirements." 

This page contains a file that requires Adobe Acrobat to view. If you need an Adobe viewer, you can Download Adobe Reader for free.

Admissions General Information

Requirements for admission to California State University, Los Angeles are set in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 1, Subchapter 3, of the California Code of Regulations. Complete information is available at Information is also available from Cal State L.A.'s Office of Admissions and Recruitment, Student Affairs 101, phone (323) 343-CSLA.

The Office of Undergraduate Studies Team

Michelle Hawley, Dean
Margaret Garcia, Associate Dean
Cheryl Pugh, Articulation Officer
Steve Krentzman, Catalog Editor
Naomi Martinez, Student Assistant
Alba Aron, Student Assistant

Have a question for the Office of Undergraduate Studies?
Email it to them!

TOP | Cal State L.A. | Divisions Mainpage

5151 State University Drive . Los Angeles . CA 90032 . (323) 343-3000
2015 Trustees of the California State University

Last Update: 7/31/2015