Grading with Percentages
Many courses use weighted percentages to calculate students' course grade. These instructions will create a percentage course grade using Moodle category.
Example: Assignments 20%, Midterm 25%, Final 35%, Attendance 10%, Discussions 10%. (Note that categories total 100%)
Setup gradebook for weighted grade items:
- Login to your Moodle course frontpage
- Click on the Grades link under the Settings block
- Select Simple View from the top drop-down list
- Select Sum of grades from the drop-down list under the Aggregation column
- Click on the Add a Category button at the bottom of the page
- You will create a category that will hold each grade item. Name the Category, select the Simple weighted mean of grades aggregation option, and provide the weighted percent under the Maximum Grade option (ex: Assignments category Maximum Grade is 20%)
- Click on the Save Changes button and repeat the process until you have created all of your categories.
Move grade items into Category:
- Click on the checkbox on the far right-handside of the gradeitem
- Click on the Move selected items to drop-down menu at the bottom of the screen to select the appropriate category
- The Course total at the bottom should equal 100.